|Location||46° 28′ N , 30° 44′ E|
|Founders||Obadiah, 1st Khagan Bek (532-590)|
|Location Function||New capital of exiled Sarmatian Royal-Priest family|
|Etymology||Named after exiled homeland|
|Year Changed||11th Century|
|Etymology||Tartar for city of the “Master Pilgrims” – Haci (pilgrim) + Bey (lord/master).|
Odessa (also Odesa) – located on the north-west shore of the Black Sea is considered a major seaport, administrative centre (4th largest city in the Ukraine) and strategic military city since major reconstruction work began in 1794 and city renamed Odessa in 1795. It is also the undeclared ancient site of the capital of one of the most famous and mysterious Empires in history- the Khazars.
Prior to being named “Odessa”, the city was known for six hundred years as Hacibey (Tartar/Turkish origin) meaning city of the “Master Pilgrims” — Haci (pilgrim) + Bey (lord/master).
It was Empress Catherine the Great (1762-1796) that officially renamed the city Odessa – an anagram of two modified ancient Greek words “ode” meaning song/story and “sa” – shorthand for Mousa meaning “source of inspiration”. While never properly revealed, the name Odesa/Odessa literally means “source of inspired song/story” — a tribute to the city and the heritage of the Russian God/Kings.
The “Island Capital” of the Khazars
When Imperial Christian Emperor Justinian (527-565) became Emperor in 527, one of the first acts he undertook was to proclaim the satanic religion of the Sarmatians (worshipping Ba’al Moloch) a capital crime and punishable by death. It is this act, above all others that caused the Independent State of Sarmara covering most of Palestine under High Priest and “King of Israel” Julianus bar Sahir to revolt against Constantinople .
However, by 531 the Sarmatians were pushed back with Justinian landing troops to the North and South — both moving towards their capital Shechem. While Priest King Julianus bar Sahir chose to remain, the royal priestly household escaped east into Syria and then north to the southern edge of the Black Sea.
Before the final downfall of the state of Sarmara , two other major groups of Sarmatians are known to have escaped by sea. The main body travelled west across the Mediterranean to escape the Eastern power of the Holy Roman Empire, to the marshes at the mouth of the Po and Piave rivers at the top of the Adriatic. Their colony in the north Adriatic was named after the renamed Sarmatians as Enetoi (Latin: Veneti), becoming one of the most famous cities in history –Venice. The other colony of refugees landed on the coast of the southern Aremorica along the Morbihan Bay in Gaul (Spain).
The immediate Sarmatian royal priest family and their troops chose a large island at the mouth of the great river delta of the Volga River upon which to build their new colony calling it Samara –the site we now call Odessa today.
Before the centuries of silt closed up the wide channels around the island and smaller islands of the Volga delta — connecting them to the mainland — the site represented a perfect defensive and trading position on the (eastern) sea shore of a ten mile long, five mile wide “diamond shaped” island. Thus the ancient legends of the Khazars capital and Empire being an island are true.
The growth and importance of Samara
Two false names are commonly ascribed to the Samara as the capital of the Khazars, the first being “Atil” (also spelt Itil) — a Turkic word which literally means “big river”.
The second and more subtle misname is “Samander” — a Persian word for Lizard — and obvious name play on Samara.
As the bubonic plagues of the 6th and 7th Century swept across the whole of Europe, Africa and Asia, the natural immunity of the Sarmatians (double CCR5 receptor deformaties) put the Sarmatian exiles in Samara in a unique position. They were simply immune to the plague, smallpox, influenza (as they are immune to HIV today).
By the 7th century, it is possible the city-island was home for more than 150,000 people. While it had been a Byzantine Emperor (Justinian) that had destroyed the Sarmatian homeland, within sixty years of the founding of Samara (Odessa), the most important trading partner and ally was Constantinople – controlling all the trade out of the Black Sea.
The abandonment of Samara/Odessa
During the early part of the 8th Century, the Khazar Priest-God-Kings abandoned their capital, during a period of climactic and political turmoil which included the collapse of the Umayyad, the breakaway of Khazar family sub-branches to form the Magyars, Bulgars and Bulgar faction called the Abbasid dynasty as well as the rapid desertification of much of Western Asia.
The precise events leading up to the abandonment of Samara (Odessa) is not clear. However, future history in the 8th and 9th Centuries clearly point to the main Khazar Priest-Kings travelling up the Volga River and establishing a new capital they called Ninevah (Nizhnii Novgorod) no later than 760/770.
The city was re-established some time during the 9th and 10th century under its new name “Hacibey” or city of the Lord Pilgrims in honor of their common Sarmatian Jewish ancestors.
Hacibey (also known as Khadjibey) came under direct control of the Ottoman Empire after 1529 and was part of a region known as Yedisan and was administered in the Ottoman Silistra (Özi) Province. In the mid-18th century, the Ottomans rebuilt a fortress at Hacibey, which was named Yeni Dünya and the city was a sanjak centre of Silistre Province.
During the Russo-Turkish War of 1787–1792, on 25 September 1789, a detachment of Russian forces under Ivan Gudovich took Khadjibey and Yeni Dünya for the Russian Empire. One part of the troops was under command of a Spaniard in Russian service, Major General José de Ribas (known in Russia as Osip Mikhailovich Deribas) and the main street in Odessa today, Deribasovskaya Street, is named after him.
Russia formally gained possession of the area as a result of the Treaty of Jassy (Iaşi) in 1792 and it became a part of the so-called Novorossiya (“New Russia”).
As a major centre for Sephardic Jews
From the 19th Century, a number of wealthy Sephardic Jewish families migrated to Odessa boosting the cities historic number of Jewish families that had continued to live in the area since the time of the Sarmatian Khazars.
During 1941-1944 the city was under the control of the Catholic Fascist regime of Romanian King Carol II. While some citizens were shipped to the Vatican human sacrifice camps in Poland and Russia, the vast majority of Sephardic and native Jews in the city remained unharmed, including their property –one of the greatest historic anomalies of World War II.
The Odessa Catacombs
Odessa is famous for its estimated 2,000 km + of catacombs that stretch beneath the whole city and outlying areas. Contrary to historic misinformation, it appears these catacombs were first constructed during the reign of the Khazars and progressively enlarged by future generations.
While stone quarried from these man-made labyrinths were used to construct buildings above grounds, the precise nature and religious purpose of these catacombs is rarely discussed, nor printed.